Your In-Home Survey - What to Expect
There is so much to consider when you're preparing for a relocation. Your Nat Ross surveyor will help guide you through the process and make it feel less overwhelming. Below is an outline of what you can expect from us when we get together and some tips to help make your move smoother.
Before Your Appointment
- If this is a corporate relocation, become familiar with your employer's relocation policy so that you know what is included
- Please plan for the surveyor to be with you for 30 to 60 minutes. This will ensure we get a thorough understanding of your needs and you have a chance to ask all the questions you want to
- Do a walk-through of your home, checking closets, drawers, garages, attics and basements. Determine which items will be moved and which won't
- Make a list of the items (clothing and other personal effects) that you'll take with you as luggage?
During The Survey
During the survey visit your surveyor will:
- Discuss your requirements and address any questions you have
- Walk through your home with you and complete a detailed inventory of all goods to be moved
- Assess any fragile or high-value items that require additional protection or special treatment
- Accurately assess the volume of your goods and any special packing requirements
- Discuss your preferred packing dates and potential transit times
- Determine any extra services, such as storage, house cleaning, car or pet transportation
- Discuss rules for transporting dangerous goods, food, liquids and/or alcohol
Your surveyor will also:
- Tell you about Nat Ross, our experience and how we will help you to "go knowing"
- Explain our packaging techniques (including our commitment to the environment) and transit options
- Tell you what documentation we will need from you
- Inform you of destination requirements and customs regulations if you're relocating overseas
- Discuss risk management and policy options available for your protection
- Complete a Move Planner
- Advise when we'll provide your quotation
- Together, we'll work to ensure your relocation goes as smoothly as possible.
- Are you relocating with children? Pick a few toys or books you'll carry with you.
- If you're relocating overseas, ensure your electrical items are compatible with your destination.
- Full disclosure! The more thorough you are in detailing what has to be moved, the more accurate the estimate will be. Also, let the surveyor know about any factors at your home - or the home you're moving to - that could complicate the move.